Youth Sports Sexual Abuse Attorney
When a youth sports team or youth organization fails to protect the children in their care from sexual abuse, they can – and should – be held responsible. Youth sports organizations have a responsibility to eradicate sexual abuse and perform extensive background checks on all coaches and staff members. Unfortunately, this does not always occur and when it does, innocent children can become victims of devastating sexual abuse. Even worse, when sexual abuse is finally reported, these youth sports organizations often turn a blind eye to the abuse, allowing more children to be harmed and creating a system that colludes with the perpetrators instead of the victims.
Youth Sports Organizations
A youth sports sexual abuse attorney at the Gold Law Firm will have the experience and the resources needed to represent children and families who have been hurt by coaches, team members or sports leaders in virtually any type of sports organization, including:
- Gymnastics teams
- Swimming teams
- Diving teams
- Youth baseball teams
- Youth football teams
- Youth soccer teams
- Junior varsity teams
- Softball teams
- High school sports teams
- Varsity sports teams
- College sports teams
- And more
Sports Organizations Abuse Scandals in the News
Over the recent years, sports organizations across the country have been embroiled in legal battles because of sexual abuse scandals. Some of the most notable ones include:
- Penn State Sexual Abuse Scandal – Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was convicted of sexually assaulting children over a period of 15 years in his career. He was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation in 2011 and convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse. He was sentenced to a minimum of 30 years in prison.
- USA Swimming Sex Abuse Scandal – In 2014, more than 19 swimmers accused coaches of sexually abusing them as part of USA Swimming. The organization was named in at least 8 lawsuits and more than 100 coaches have been banned – mostly for sexual misconduct.
- USA Gymnastics Sex Abuse Scandal – more than 360 cases of gymnasts accusing coaches of sexual abuse over the last 20 years. Most notably more than 150 gymnasts accused national gymnastics team physician Larry Nassar of sexual assault. He was sentenced to 60 years in federal prison.
Learn These Red Flag Behaviors
While these warning signs do not always indicate that your child is being sexually assaulted, they do cross boundaries and should be evaluated closely:
- Spending one-on-one time with children in private practice sessions
- Singling a child out for special attention
- Giving gifts to a child or youth
- Touching children in inappropriate ways not related to training
- Telling youth sexual or inappropriate jokes and stories
- Commenting on a child’s appearance not related to training or sports uniforms
Contact Our Denver Sexual Assault Victims Rights Attorneys Today
If your child was sexually assaulted by a coach, team member, or training partner, we can help you seek justice and hold them accountable for their abuse. At the Gold Law Firm, our Denver sexual assault victims rights attorneys are passionate about representing survivors of sexual assault and helping them seek the justice they deserve. We have the experience and the resources needed to fight for you. Contact the Gold Law Firm today for a free consultation at (303)-694-4653.