Automobile accidents can be devastating for injury victims. You are hurt, in pain, and perhaps unable to work. Every aspect of your daily life has been turned upside down. Many victims find it difficult to maintain relations with their spouses or are incapable of interacting with their children, and some even find themselves increasingly dependent on the medication prescribed to ease their physical suffering. In addition, the medical bills just keep piling up as everything they knew spirals into chaos.
This is why it is imperative to take very precise steps immediately following any automobile accident in which you are involved: (10 steps to follow in an automobile accident).
- Get contact information for all other motorists involved in the accident and for any witnesses, including full names, license numbers, and insurance carriers.
- Document the scene with photographs. Photograph the positions of all vehicles, their damage, and all street signs and traffic lights. Any other evidence you think might be helpful should be photographed as well.
- See a doctor. Your adrenaline will be coursing after an accident and you may not even feel any pain until hours after the accident. Or you could have some type of internal or latent injury that will manifest itself in the weeks to come when it will be more difficult to file a claim.
- Never downplay your injuries. Be sure to discuss with your doctor any discomfort, pain, cuts, bruises, or inflammation, no matter how irrelevant you think it might be.
- Never give the insurance company a recorded statement. They will attempt to use that information against you in a settlement.
- Report the accident. Filing a report with the authorities authenticates the accident and gives law enforcement an opportunity to document their findings. An officer whose findings favor your story can serve as a witness later, if there is a trial.
- Maintain financial records. Accident victims are eligible by law to receive compensation for expenses related to their injury. This includes travel expenses to and from medical appointments and treatments, medicine, medical devices, and certain other expenses.
- Never accept a settlement check without consulting your attorney first. Cashing any check marked “final payment”, before the full scope of your injuries is known, will end your negotiating power.
- Carefully examine repair appraisals. Insurance companies often will undervalue estimates in an attempt to save money.
- Never sign a waiver without first consulting your attorney. Signing a waiver prematurely could leave you with substantially less compensation than your claim deserves.
Contact The Denver Car Accident Attorneys at The Gold Law Firm
If you were injured in a car accident because of the negligence of another, consider putting our experienced Denver car accident attorneys on your side. At the Gold Law Firm, we work hard to achieve the maximum compensation for all of our clients. Contact attorney Gregory A. Gold or Sommer Luther of the Gold Law Firm today for a free consultation at (303) 694-4653, or by filling out the contact form on this page.
The Gold Law Firm serves the victims of personal injury and insurance disputes throughout the state of Colorado, including Denver, Akron, Brush, Byers, Fort Morgan, Greeley, Holyoke, Strasburg, Weldona, Wiggins, and Yuma.